Ok, so the cookies pictured above did NOT come out the way I hoped. I got the original recipe here. I had quite a few problems with these cookies. After my epic fail (I know the cookies look awesome in the picture but those were the only ones that came out right) I decided to look at another recipe that I feel might work better because there’s more flour. I also had the universe working against me because well the power went out so I’m sure the fridge wasn’t in tip top shape and the oven stopped working halfway through the baking process. So, needless to say I just had a bad experience but that doesn’t mean I’m going to stop. I’m going to be testing out the second recipe I found. For now I’ll leave both recipes for you to decide which one you want to pick!
all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for shaping the cookies
unsalted butter (2 sticks), at room temperature
pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated (the dough will be stiff). Shape into a disk and (unless otherwise specified in an individual recipe) refrigerate, wrapped, for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
- Make cookies according to directions in the 10 Ideas For Sugar Cookie Dough collection. Alternately, make cutout cookies by doing the following: Heat oven to 350° F. On a floured surface, roll out each disk ¼ inch thick. Cut into shapes and place on parchment-lined baking sheets; refrigerate until firm. Sprinkle with decorating sugar, if using, and bake until just beginning to brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Granulated sugar; red and blue colored sugar; or sprinkles
In large mixing bowl
beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much flour
as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in halves. Wrap; refrigerate dough for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Refrigerate remaining dough until ready to roll. With a 3-inch star-shape cookie cutter, cut dough. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets
. Sprinkle with sugars.
Bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until edges are light brown. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool. Makes about 4-1/2 dozen cookies.